Tome of the End Times

Session Five

Shortly after their encounter with what seemed to be the minions of the Raven Queen, the party found that their names had been cleared. Black-Finger Tom seemed to have held up his end of the bargain and the heroes were free to go on their way. After speaking with the Stormbreakers and Heimerstend, it appeared that the army was headed east, across the Drake Tail Mountains and the group decided that there was likely to be work on the frontier. Heimerstend seemed to be focused on taking the lands beyond Fort Defiance, reclaiming what had once been the lands of man.

Ranging out before the army, the companions reached the western gate of the pass that led under the mountains, to Stonepass beyond, and to Fort Defiance beyond that. The pass itself lead into a dwarven city deep within the mountain, Clave Oath-Home. The gate was a mammoth stone construction built into the rock face. Upon reaching the entrance, several dwarves emerged and made their way to meet the new-comers. Accompanied by several guards and speaking only in dwarven, one of the dwarves introduced himself as Gatewarden Finagrol, keeper of the western gate. Having grown up on the frontier dealing with dwarves, Valar Beck responded in kind and requested passage through the mountains. The group was escorted into the gatehouse to negotiate the price of this passage. After some discussion, it was determined that the adventurers would be allowed passage if they would act as emissaries to the dragonborn of the Second Seat, which lay in the mountains above Clave Oath-Home. The dwarves had lost touch with the dragonborn and were becoming concerned.

The party agreed to these terms and headed up the mountain after collecting some supplies from the dwarves to ward against the wind and cold of the heights. On their trip up the mountain, they were ambushed by a swarm of kobolds and drakes. After dispatching them and moving on, the adventurers met with a patrol of copper dragonborn led by Dak’kor, the First Talon of the Second Seat, charged with guarding the holy place and leading those who would do the same. Speaking through Ax, he indicated that the kobolds were causing problems and that it was very odd that these creatures had begun to attack in the numbers in which they now appeared, as though driven by something. Dak’kor announced that he would guide the group to The Matron.

The group reached the settlement shortly before dark. Dak’kor went ahead to make the Matron aware of the visitors, and they were granted an audience in her tent when they arrived. The matron was a old copper dragonborn with clouded eyes seated upon a pile of eggs and breathing the fumes of what seemed to be incense of some sort. When she spoke, it was though she had only just come out of a deep trance. She greeted the adventurers but littler information passed between them, and audience was over after a quick confirmation that no one knew why the kobolds were all over the mountains.

In the night, one of the dragonborn priests came to wake Ax with a summons from the Matron. He woke and followed the messenger to the smokey tent once more. The Matron explained that another “Star-Speaker”, Tro’or, had come to her wishing to visit the Second Seat, and she had allowed it. As this golden dragonborn had been allowed access, Ax, a “Star-Speaker” himself, would be allowed to visit the seat. The Matron pressed a stone into Ax’s hand and before his eyes, an etching of the path to the Seat rose from it’s face. Before he left, Ax asked if the Matron knew anything of the strange eladrin artifact that Heimerstend had confiscated, but she was already slipping back into her trance, muttering disinterestedly that she did not.

In the morning, the party set out to find the Seat, following the stone-map through the warrens of the mountain. After nearly a day of travel, they came to a large cave covered with hieroglyphs in ancient languages that none of the group could comprehend. In the cave, there were also a set of ritual robes, which Ax donned before proceeding to the seat, bidding the others wait outside the holy place. The Seat itself seemed to be across a thin strip of a stone bridge that ended in a tunnel in the rock. Ax entered the tunnel and disappeared from sight for a time. All was silent but for the wind howling over the rock ledge for several minutes. Suddenly, an earthshaking roar overwhelmed the wind and Ax came bolting out of the tunnel.

A giant shape rose from the far side of the rock and came crashing down on the tiny spine of stone right behind Ax, knocking him sprawling to hang over the edge of the bridge. The dragon was white and roared again, and this time, a certain cruel glee could be detected. Wasting no time, Dagon took off at a full run and dove, catching Ax’s arm just as the rest of him slipped over the edge. Hauling the dragonborn back to safety, the two of them sprinted for the safety of the cave as just behind them, kobolds began to swarm up the mountain face and the dragon leaped again into the air.

The heroes, badly outnumber and weary from their trek fled through the warrens to escape the kobolds and the dragon, although they had lost track of it since it took wing. As they passed through one of the tunnels, Dagon drove his axe into a ledge of overhanging rubble as he ran, collapsing the path behind them, prevented pursuit. The party took a moment to gather it’s breath when a dark mass burst into view over one of the peaks, and the dragon landed in their midst. Knowing they could not outpace this foe, the companions dug in and attacked. After a long battle, tearing at the beast’s wings, they drove it out over a chasm and struck a mortal blow. The dragon pitched and let out a final roar before plunging into the ravine to it’s final resting point.



I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.